Well, I remember when I moved to Sydney and entered to one of Bondi`s infamous chip shops, and noticed this Mars bar treat on the menu, I wasn`t convinced. Back then, I wasn`t really adventurous. Also I wasn`t convinced after 1 year as well, I thought I try and try and try later later later… Never happened. And I was finishing college and finishing with Australian living and thought I must try this once, this and gambling.
The fried Mars bar was surprisingly good, before I tried to imagine how it might taste, I was close,but my imaginary version wasn`t nearly as good. Let me start, the dessert doesn`t taste as bad as it sounds. Actually it`s kinda delicious. The chocolate melts well with the batter, which still holds the whole thing together, it`s almoust like a chocolate filled doughnut, but much better! Anyway, you must try!
Of course the Aussies say it`s their invention, but I’ve been noted by a few people, that it`s oridinated to Scotland, and it`s a popular part of the chip shops “healthy diet”. Wikipedia says the same thing. Anyway I never been, and the Aussies and the Scots can argue on this as much as they want. Today it`s been tested on 30 sweet loving people, who were very satisfied.
4 Mars bars
150 g self raising flour
150g dry coconut
1 cup milk
pinch of salt
plenty oil for frying.
Keep Mars bars in fridge before frying.
Make batter, with flour, coconut, milk, egg and salt in a bowl. It needs to b a bit thicker then a pancake mix. Just like any other batter.
Take mars bars out of the fridge,, (remove packaging of course..) roll into flour, then dip into batter, make sure it covers the whole bar.
Gently put it in the hot oil. It has to cover the whole bar. It fries in approx. 1 minute, so make sure don`t burn.
It it straight up, maybe with some vanilla ice cream!
- Mars Bar Ice-Cream Topping Recipe (rachelisoneill.wordpress.com)
- Mars’ choccy horror show (thesun.co.uk)
- A Mars Bar at Good Length (deepbackwardpoint.com)
- #1 Scottish People Love Deep Fried Food (scottishpeoplelove.wordpress.com)
- Mars Bar, Max Fish & Pink Pony all closing (brooklynvegan.com)
- Sweet cash deal for public servants (heraldsun.com.au)
- 2011 Recipe Challenge (linngraves.wordpress.com)
- campus craic. (beautifulspeck.wordpress.com)
- Unhealthy snacks play on our unconscious (physorg.com)