Well let me start with, this is not much of a recipe, but more like an idea. In a previous post I mentioned, I’ve been asked to cater a gin tasting night, so I need to come up with some bites, for about 50 people. My hands are a bit tied, as at the bar, I have minimum cooking facilities (pretty much only a chopping board and a knife) so the food needs to be cold, transportable, and if possible still created at the spot.
Also, what does one cook for a gin tasting? – I asked myself again, and the first hour I got nothing. I looked at my old recipes, and I came to the conclusion I prefer wine, and cook with or to wine. So that didn`t help much. I didn`t have any gin at home…also disadvantage. So gin..dry? Right? Right! So either something preferably very salty or something semi- sweet. So I ended up with 4 different bites 2 salty and 2 semi sweet ones. Which the first one I`m sharing with you now. Couple of weeks ago I posted a very similar recipe.. Gorgonzola toasts with poached figs , well yes I still have a fixation for figs, especially fresh one, and lucky me there are sort of in season now. I say “sort of” as they are indeed still in season, still impossible to find some. I wanted to use this recipe somehow, but I dont have any toast-privileges at the bar. So I thought a simple cracker will do the work. Also plain Gorgonzola is nice, but here I needed something which is not so rich in taste and a bit creamy. I ended up mixing the cheese with some spread. Why spread and no butter? Well butter turns bit hard when cold, even if its mixed with something else making it a bit difficult to work with, so spread does the work perfectly.
You need pretty much no time making these, so in case you planning a cocktail party, this recipe is highly recommended:)
plain unsalted spread, or even Philadelphia creme cheese is nice
Mix the cheese with the spread, slice dried apricot in half. lay it down on the cracker with the sticky side down. Add a small spoon of cheese spread on top, and finish it with a thin slice of fig!
- Recipe: Raspberry and coconut cupcakes…again! (thewonderingchef.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Gorgonzola toasts with poached figs (thewonderingchef.wordpress.com)
- Pizza inspired sandwich + a soup & salad dinner! (healthyhitsthespot.com)
- Arugula salad with peaches, tomatoes, bacon, gorgonzola croutons (charlotte.news14.com)
- Drunken Figs (savoringeverybite.wordpress.com)
- Black figs filled with Roquefort recipe (telegraph.co.uk)
- Roasted Fig Tart (deliciousparadox1213.wordpress.com)
- Nuts with honey mellows out blue cheese’s peppery bite (sfgate.com)
- Fig Galette with Blue Cheese (callmechef.wordpress.com)
- Figs in red wine (etonmess.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Yogurt With Caramelized Figs (thekitchn.com)
- Recipe: Gorgonzola Walnut Crostini With Pear Salad – Recipe (nytimes.com)
- Endive Salad with Bacon, Avocado and Gorgonzola Recipe (avocadocentral.com)
- Peach and Feta Chicken Pizza (ravienomnoms.wordpress.com)