It`s been a while since I was planning to use the pack of cannelloni tubes hiding in my kitchen since a nice Roman holiday. Many times, I had the plan in my mind, what sort of exciting things I`m going to try for the fillings. Had a few ideas (I still have them, soon will try them out as well), but something always came up, and we never had the cannelloni dinner. Today, before a few days holiday, my dad asked me to use up the remaining stuff from the fridge. Well, I wasn`t really spoiled whit choices, all we had was half of an eggplant and few mushroom cups. Luckily, there was still some milk (good thing we have cats), and some remainings of the puglian parmesan cheese, which made the British boarder control incredibly excited at the security check-in. Because of the recent Italian influence on my cooking, pasta it is I thought. And while digging for the last small can of tomato pure, I found the cannolli tubes on the shelf. The day has come, I thought. Cannolli dinner it is!
The recipe is easy, but there`s a bit of hustle with it, especially with the washing up. If you try it, you need to make tomato sauce, besamel, and fry the vegetables.
Ingredients (4-5 persons) usually about 4 cannolli tubes/person
- 1 small eggplant
- 4 medium mushroom cups
- 15g of butter
- 20g flour
- 400ml milk
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small can of tomato pure
- herbs (preferably fresh)
- 2 spoons of sugar
- salt, pepper
- cannolli tubes
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven for 180C.
- Slice up the eggplant and the mushroom for small cubes. Make sure they going to fit in the cannolli tubes
- Fry the vegetables in some olive oil, in a frying pan. Set aside.
- In a saucepan mix the tomato-pure with some water, the sugar, salt, pepper and herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary), cook over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Make besamel sauce, using the butter, flour and the milk. Take it off the heat, mix with the vegetables, parmesan cheese, ad some salt and the nutmeg.
- Using a piping bag, or a small spoon fill the canolli tubes.
- Butter the sides of your oven tray, put the tubes firmly close to each other.
- Poor over the sauce, make sure the cannollis are covered with it.
- Put some grinded cheese on top and bake for about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve it with some side salad.