I love spring rolls, I also like making them. I mastered this activity in England, when sometimes I had to make a few hundred weekly. So I guess I had my chance to practice:) Now when it comes to spring roll pastry, it`s easy to use, untill you follow a couple of easy steps, after you shouldn`t have any problems with rolling your own:) What I like about it the most is, you can fill it with whatever you want, it can be vegetarian, or sweet, or meat, or even seafood, any spice, or cheese goes well with it. It`s really up to your own creativity what you make out of it!
And again, spinach is in season, and I`m already a bit addicted to it, and thought it would be good in my spring rolls. I wanted to add some extra flavour to it thou, when I found the smoked cheese in the fridge, it would give a nice thick and rich flavour I thought. But something was missing, I’ve been thinking about adding some chilly, but that would have been way too hot, especially if someone bites on it. I still had some jalapeno left over, and slicing it into small cubes would do the trick. The filling recipe is very easy, there’s few things you need to watch out for thou. Here are the crucial points:
- Get rid of as much excess water from the spinach as possible
- Make a thick filling mix
- The spring roll pastry dries out very fast, so ALWAYS cover after opening, with a clean cloth. You can also sprinkle some water on the cloth, but make sure don`t make it too wet, that also damages the pastry!
- When filling and rolling the pastry, make sure you do it tightly, otherwise it`s going to open, or blow up while frying.
- In case you storing it in fridge, never put foil on top. It sweats, and damages the pastry, just leave it open on a tray, you can put some baking paper under it.
- Always fill with ready to eat ingredients, fry in very hot oil.
Ingredients (for 10 spring rolls)
10 sheets of spring rolls pastry, defrosted, separated. Only separate as much as you need, the leftovers, cover in foil and put it in fridge.
2 cloves of garlic
300 g fresh spinach leafs, washed
200 g smoked cheese grated
150 g jalapeno peppers, chopped.
white from 1 egg
In a frying pan, fry the spinach leafs with garlic salt and pepper, over a bit of oil. When ready put in a colinder, and try to push out as much liquid as possible.
Transfer in a bowl, and mix with cheese and jalapeno.
With your hands fold your mix into 10 individual batches, about 5 cm long rolls.
Put down 1 pastry, 1 angle facing you and brush the sides, with egg white, using a pastry brush. Dont put too much egg white.
Take one of your batches, put it down, to the angle facing you, fold the angle on it, firmly, start rolling up.
Stop before the middle, fold in the 2 angles, put some more egg white, and firmly start rolling to the top.
Fry in hot oil!
- Spring rolls and a crayon tote-bag (greenandfrugalhousewife.com)
- Spinach Pesto (triplecordcsaorganicproduce.wordpress.com)
- Popeye Me (dawnieq.wordpress.com)
- Baked Brie Recipe (organizedsahm.wordpress.com)
- When it’s better to turn a Nathan Outlaw pasty into a pie… (beyondthepasty.wordpress.com)
- Spinach, tomato, mushroom and onion quiche (inpursuitoffood.wordpress.com)
- Projects ” How-To’s ” Mixed Vegetable Spring Rolls! (cutoutandkeep.net)