How about a little snack? Dinner party, wine tasting, bbq, birthday party..these little toasts will serve you well. Easy and will be ready in no-time. Especially now, when figs are in season, you can easily replace the poached figs to some fresh ones with balsamic glaze. For this one I used ciabata bread, but any thick crust dough will be nice, especially french baguettes!
To prepare the poached figs will take some time, depending of course how many you are making, to me 40 pieces were 20 minutes, it also cools fast, and in case you wont be using all, it can be stored up until a month in the fridge!
Ingredients for 10 toasts
10 slices of ciabata bread, or any other bread
50 g of Gorgonzola cheese
20 figs, dried..or fresh ones, which don`t need to be poached
100ml of red wine
100ml of water
2 spoons of sugar
1 spoon of white wine vinegar
little bit of salt
Combine the water, wine, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small sauce pan, add figs, and bring it to boil. Cook until liquid is reduced, and you end up with a thick caramelized. Put it aside to cool.
Spread the gorgonzola on the bread slices, add as thick as you like, depending how much you like the taste of the cheese. Some prefer a bit less, some a bit more. Put it in the oven to 180C for a couple of minutes, until golden brown.
When toasts are ready, add 2-3 figs each, spread some of the caramelized wine jam, on the serving plate!
- Where Have All The Good Eggs Gone…? (cliftonkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Arugula salad with peaches, tomatoes, bacon, gorgonzola croutons (charlotte.news14.com)
- Common Fig (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Recipe for Arugula and Gorgonzola Salad with Balsamic Vinegar (kalynskitchen.com)
- Salmon Salad – 1881 (madrigal4.wordpress.com)
- Poached figs in red wine recipe (telegraph.co.uk)
- Endive Salad with Bacon, Avocado and Gorgonzola Recipe (avocadocentral.com)
- Quick and Easy Fig Salad Dressing (mapetitemaisonverte.com)
- Fig and Cheese (gypsymind1.wordpress.com)