I finally managed to find some decent halloumi cheese in the supermarket. Let me tell you, I love them! Its a great substitute for a vegetarian BBQ, which meat lovers will like as well. These cheese is traditionally Cyprian, and very popular in The Middle East and Greece. Usually made by sheep’s or goats milk, sometimes there are cows milk based available too.
The best thing about it: It goes ell with almost anything, with chili or sweeter sauces, vegetables, grills, prosciutto, salads..you name it. Spices as well can be used while grilling, I would recommend sumac and some cured lemon.
I had to try out some bread recipes today, and ended up, with a nice thin sourdough, which is perfect toasted with some olive oil. I thought it ill go well with the halloumi, just wanted to make it a bit colorful As I said it goes well with almost anything, I thought I add some grilled tomatoes, and since I had a pesto open just spread it on the toast. The result was yummy! The combination of the flavors was just amazing, and nothing beats fresh home-made bread! Its perfect as a welcome snack or to a wine tasting or to pretty much any food-loving occasion!
Note: If its your first time grilling halloumi, there’s a few things you should know. Fry it in a non-stick frying pan. Make sure the pan is burning hot…and I mean literally burning hot! Use only a drop of olive oil, not much more! Don`t overcrowd, so try and fry maybe 3-4 at once, or else the temperature will drop and your cheese is going to melt instead if grilling. Just brown each side and your cheese is ready!
Heat a frying pan, add a couple of spoons of olive oil, toast the bread slices at both sides
Spread some pesto over the toasts, while they are still warm so it melts a bit.
heat the same frying pan, until burning hot
add halloumi cheese and fast fry on both sides
when finished with cheese add tomato halves, and grill
season with a bit of sumac and white pepper only if you like
be careful with salt, as the cheese itself is very salty!
- The Season for Grilling (homedesign.marthastewart.com)
- Halloumi: The Cheese That Won’t Melt (epicureanchronicles.wordpress.com)
- Halloumi (totaltranslucency.wordpress.com)
- Tony’s Table: Pasta With Pesto (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Grilled Bacon and Buffalo Mozzarella Sandwiches with Hass Avocado Recipe (avocadocentral.com)
- [cooking attempts] chicken bruschetta (wordvom.com)
- It’s time for real grilled cheese – on the BBQ (theglobeandmail.com)
- Summer treat: Pasta with homemade pesto, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella bites (theitalianfork.com)
- Poor Man’s Pesto (girlwalletkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Whole Wheat Pasta with Basil Walnut Pesto (thetalkingkitchen.com)
- How I make Spanakopita (irinisavva.wordpress.com)
- Olives and Exercise: The Upshot (frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com)